• Type of Project
: Line Conversion –Meter Gauge to Broad Gauge
• District :
Gandhinagar (Pop : 13.91 Lakh), Mehsana (Pop : 20.35 Lakh), Patan (Pop : 13.43 Lakh) Project Background:
• Mandal-Becharaji Special Investment Region (MBSIR) located about 90 km from Ahmedabad near Becharaji town in Mehsana District.
• MBSIR is spread over 102 Sq. Km. area over 8 villages in Detroj, Mandal and Becharaji Taluka.
• The MBSIR has been conceptualised as an Auto Ancillary Hub. Maruti-Suzuki, Honda Motors and their ancillary companies have already initiated work on production plant. Dedicated rubber and glass units for Maruti Suzuki Industries Limited are also considering setting up under service industries.
• Other sectors identified in the SIR are Light Engineering including metal & alloy products, Electronics system design and manufacturing (ESDM), agro and food processing, apart from wind and solar power equipment manufacturing industries.
• A broad gauge railway line connecting Viramgam with Mehsana already passes through the SIR at Detroj.
• Also a meter gauge line connecting Katosan to Ranuj passes through Becharaji.
• Immediate demand anticipated for connectivity from Katosan to Becharaji; from upcoming plant of Maruti Suzuki
• As the MBSIR develops and growth of industry in the surrounding there would be increased demand for other phases of the project encompassing Kalol to RanujProject Length:
The gauge conversion project connecting Kalol-Katosan-Becharaji-Chanasama-Ranuj is divided in 4 phases.
o Beharaji - Katosan (phase 1) – 25 km (As per Task force discussion this phase provides connectivity to upcoming Maruti Suzuki plant and other Auto hub in the region)
o Becharaji - Chanasama (phase 2) – 27 km
o Chanasma - Ranuj (phase 3) – 13 km
o Kalol – Katosan (phase 4) – 37 km
o TOTAL GAUGE CONVERSION – 102 KM
Estimated Project Construction Period*: To be ascertained basis detailed Study to be commissioned.
Mode of Award of Project*:
o Becharaji - Chanasama (phase 2) - 135 Cr
o Chanasma - Ranuj (phase 3) - 65 Cr
o Kalol – Katosan (phase 4) - 185 Cr.
o TOTAL COST FOR GAUGE CONVERSION - 510 CR. (TOTAL)
Current Status*: Maruti Suzuki has appointed BARSYL for Phase 1 (pre-feasibility) study
*Source : GIDB; Stakeholder Consultation